Monday, July 10, 2006

Justice! (P.S. only for those who can afford it)

When you’re a student, you’ll make the most out of every minute to rest and get your mood out of academic stuffs… Well, perhaps that was what I have learned. Sometimes, my schedule in school gets so ”toxic” that I make it a point to have my leisure every time I have the chance. That’s why during Sunday, one can just see me at my “idlest” moment in front of the television. I guess that’s the least I could do for myself. I spend three hours straight, from 9pm-12am, watching CSI (Crime Scene Investigation) Marathon in AXN. Every week’s episode of CSI, CSI New York and CSI Miami is replayed during Sunday and I know that I just couldn’t miss one.

CSI is actually one of my favorite TV shows. It is all about solving crimes and capturing criminals the best way possible. It does not matter whoever the victims or the crimials are. What the show seems to promote is for justice to be given to those who deserve it. It may be shallow but I am impressed with the way people from that TV show solves and unravel crimes. Though I know that everything was scripted and made for the public’s entertainment, I still couldn’t help to admire the characters. The way they do things may be so ideal to the point of being unrealistic, but they manage to pull the strings somehow. They have all the modern instruments and the best people to accomplish even the most impossible job.

And I couldn’t help but compare the show on how the justice system here in the Philippines works. Here, the arrest of a culprit will take some time for the authorities to do. And most of the time, if it’s a victim’s lucky day, the accused may even be someone so powerful that he has “immunity” from the law. The filing of a case is such a tedious process for crime-victims, especially for those who don’t have the means, that the case would only be a trash. Ain’t it funny how authorities brag about being able to solve this and that percentage of crimes yet Filipinos see and experience the injustices and the endless killings in the country? Ain’t it so good to know the number of laws created to supposedly protect the people yet one can’t help but feel that these laws are only for those in the upper ranks of society? Ain’t it so impressive to see how a large sum of budget is given to the armed forces yet only few are protected?

This is a point of view of a niece whose Uncle was killed almost a year ago and yet, justice was not served. F**k the system…

No comments: