Sunday, June 25, 2006

A Proposed Tuition Increase?!

Passing the University of the Philippines Achievement Test (UPCAT) was indeed an achievement, perhaps not only for me but also for everyone who made it inside UP. The name of the school already depicts opportunities and yes, the tag of being “Iskolar ng Bayan”. It is something to brag about but don’t get me wrong, I am simply proud to be a UPan, regardless of campus. Well, in my case, it’s UP Baguio. Aside from the things that go with it, talk about high quality education at a lower cost. However, there’s a buzz around the university about a proposed tuition increase next year.


Like hello?! Imagine a tuition increase from P300 per unit to P600? Also, the additional miscellaneous fee increase that will surely burn not only the student’s pocket but their parents’ as well. Where did “Iskolar ng Bayan” go?! Well, it's known to everyone that a part of our school's budget is subsidized by the government...Ow! I meant through the taxpayers' money, of course! Hmnn...Why did I ever forget that all the parents are taxpayers too?! Does this mean that these people, who send their children to UP need to triple their pay? It disheartens me that quality education is seemed to be equated with high tuition, these days. I mean, not all students in UP belong to the higher or middle class that can afford whatever increase the school is planning to have. It’s not as if UPans are Atenistas or La Sallistas (Whoops! No offense meant. I was just reiterating the societal status), or else, we would have been called as such...
More so, the essence of being the state university might be lost. It is not all about the name... Admittedly, there had been a lot of changes in UP but a tuition increase won't do any better. Talk about the worsening economic condition in the Philippines.
I may not be directly affected since I hope to graduate this year but how about the future students of the university? Those who have the intellect yet do not have the means to such education?
Forgive me for what seem to be my “violent thoughts”, but then, this is my site and I’m quite entitled to write my opinion. After all, everybody has one. (",)

1 comment:

Angel said...

cool ka lang.. ahehe! that's life! not much is free nowadays.. ;)