Sunday, July 02, 2006

Am I Married?!

Last Monday was just like any ordinary day for me. Being the lazy couch potato that I really am, I would have opted to stay at home had I not remembered that I had to post the required blog entry. Realizing that I had nothing else to do after posting my entry, I decided to go to a dress shop and had my pants repaired. Well, there was really nothing-extraordinary going on between the dressmaker and me. She did the SOP of measuring the pants, and me of course. Nothing really…not until she asked me if I was already married because of the measurement of my hips. I would have gotten insulted by her remarks had I not heard what she said after… She said that, “malay ko ba…ang dami na kasing mga batang babaeng maagang nagbubuntis ngayon” [How should I know? There are a lot of girls who get married at a young age these days].

I was still thinking about what the lady said when I got home. Not on what she said about me but what she said regarding the generation of today. It was then that I’ve realized that it was not just about kids being involved in premarital sex at a young age. But it was more of the consequences… A study posted in the Internet indicated that in the Philippines, “in 2000, an estimated 78,900 women were hospitalized for postabortion care, 473,400 women had abortions and the abortion rate was 27 per 1,000 women aged 15–44 per year” (1). In times like this, one wouldn’t really know who or what to blame. Perhaps, it’s the issue of sex being taboo in the country that perpetuates the act more.

Admit it or not, there were times when a girl is silenced and scolded by her parents because she mentioned or asked something about the word sex. It’s as if cursing all the saints who ever existed! I am not some promiscuous being who talks about sex as if I’m a sex education professor! But neither am I a prude. I guess all I’m saying is that for the generation of today to be educated by their parents. There may be sex education classes but it would also help if it would be something that even parents would openly discuss. Openly, meaning, parents explaining when their kids ask. It’s not a plague that should be avoided. After all, kids will not always remain at their age. I firmly believe that the more society avoids talking about it, the more prevalent it becomes. Perhaps because one would have to learn it on one’s own, which most likely would result to pregnancy due to lack of knowledge. Time is changing and I guess the best way to adapt is to be properly informed.

(1)
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/3114005.html

No comments: